The Committee has adopted the following statement concerning the Membership Register, in order to make clear our compliance with the new General Data Protection Regulations. At the 2018 AGM it will be recommended to become part of the Society’s Rules.
A Membership Register shall be maintained.
• The purpose of the Membership Register is solely to further the aims of the Society in accordance with its Rules;
• Every member in the Membership Register will have requested or consented, in writing, including by electronic means, that their name be included in the Membership Register;
• The Membership Register shall contain only the contact details of each member (address, telephone, e-mail), and the years they attended MGS;
• The contact details of an individual member may only be released to another member. No person who is not a member of the Society shall have access to any contact information contained in the Membership Register;
• A member may request that all or part of their contact details be withheld from being passed to another individual member, or may request to see what data the Society holds on them by contacting the Membership Secretary, or by e-mail at email@example.com;
• A member’s details will be securely deleted from the Membership Register, should they leave the Society;
• The Membership Register will be published annually at the beginning of January. It will be forwarded to members by e-mail, or by post to those who do not have e-mail;
• The published Membership Register will not contain any contact details other than the last known hometown and county or country, where that information is available;
• The Committee will audit the location and security of the Membership Register to ensure compliance with all data protection legislation.