It would not be legal to hold an AGM in person at present. Here is a statement of how the Society plans to proceed. Please read if you are a member. The reports referred to in the statement have been concatenated wth it into a single pdf file which is available here for members. Note that the Society does not usually put such documents on its website, although they are of course circulated to members.
Note added September 2020: the 2019 register is no longer available here. It is superseded by the 2020 Register which has been circulated directly to members. The 2020 Register will not be posted on this website. There follows the original version of the post about the 2019 Register.
The new public version of the register can be downloaded here (in PDF format):
OMS Membership Register 2019
Note that to conform with GDPR it does not contain names of those members who have opted out of inclusion, and does not give contact details beyond town of residence. (The Membership secretary does hold contact details, in a secure manner, in the full non-public Membership Register, as described below.)
The covering email message from the Membership Secretary and Treasurer follows
2019 OMS Membership Register
Best wishes to you all for the New Year. We hope you have a successful 2019.
We have pleasure in forwarding the 2019 OMS Membership Register, which is published each year with current information up to 1st January. During 2018 the membership rose from 1859 to 2003, an increase of 144.
The Register is managed by the year of leaving the school.
The details of each member which are held in the Membership Register are the name of the member, the years of joining and leaving MGS, the hometown, contact telephone numbers and their e-mail address. No other information is held. This information is used solely for producing the annual Membership Register (excluding contact details), and for forwarding matters of interest such as the Old Maidstonian Society Newsletter and events held by the OMS and MGS.
The contact details of an individual member may only be released to another member. No person who is not a member of the Society shall have access to any contact information contained in the Membership Register. Unless a member specifically requests that their contact details are withheld, they are released to another Old Maidstonian who requests it. Contact information is never released to any other person or organisation.
A member may request that all or part of their contact details be withheld from being passed to another member, or may request to see what data the Society holds on them, by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
A member’s details will be securely deleted from the Membership Register, should they leave the Society.
There is information missing and there will also be errors since much of the information was taken from the previous card system. If your entry is incorrect or incomplete, or you have not provided the Society with a contact telephone number, would you please consider doing so? Please either e-mail the Membership Secretary at email@example.com or telephone 01622 730514.
If we can assist in placing you in contact with any other member then please let us know.
Would you please check the information for your entry. If your entry is incorrect then would you please send a brief message to the Membership Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have recently changed your e-mail address, or are considering doing so, then would you please inform us. If you have provided a work or university e-mail, would you consider letting us have your private e-mail, which is much less likely to change.
A printed version of the Membership Register is available at £5 per copy including post and packing.
Graham Belson on behalf of the Committee
Old Maidstonian Society
Tel: 01622 730514
Mob: 07770 738041
The Committee adopted the following statement concerning the Membership Register, in order to make clear our compliance with the new General Data Protection Regulations. It was then agreed at the 2018 AGM as part of the Society’s Rules.
A Membership Register shall be maintained.
• The purpose of the Membership Register is solely to further the aims of the Society in accordance with its Rules;
• Every member in the Membership Register will have requested or consented, in writing, including by electronic means, that their name be included in the Membership Register;
• The Membership Register shall contain only the contact details of each member (address, telephone, e-mail), and the years they attended MGS;
• The contact details of an individual member may only be released to another member. No person who is not a member of the Society shall have access to any contact information contained in the Membership Register;
• A member may request that all or part of their contact details be withheld from being passed to another individual member, or may request to see what data the Society holds on them by contacting the Membership Secretary, or by e-mail at email@example.com;
• A member’s details will be securely deleted from the Membership Register, should they leave the Society;
• The Membership Register will be published annually at the beginning of January. It will be forwarded to members by e-mail, or by post to those who do not have e-mail;
• The published Membership Register will not contain any contact details other than the last known hometown and county or country, where that information is available;
• The Committee will audit the location and security of the Membership Register to ensure compliance with all data protection legislation.
The membership increases year on year. However, the current level of 1,500 is only a very small percentage of the number of students who have attended the school. We are conscious that many of you are in contact with ex-students who are not registered as members. If you know of an ex-pupil who is not a member of the Society, would you please forward their e-mail address (to firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will take it from there. (Note added by MAHM: we are especially keen to improve coverage among who are neitherretired already nor recent leavers)